Requirements for World Language Honor Society
World Languages Honor Society
(Effective May 2019)
Requirements for the World Languages Honor Society
Application, essay, cultural club moderator signature, service hours with signature (proof on letterhead if it is an outside service) , proof of Cultural Event and fees due February 21st , 2020. No CASH will be accepted. All checks must be made out to St. Francis Preparatory School.
A Google Document will be posted on the Foreign Language Website to be completed for the application.
Membership in the World Languages Honor Society is open to those students who have displayed excellence in the study of languages other than English.
Academic Requirements for the World Language Honor Society
- Cumulative 4.0 (A+)(97%) GPA in Foreign Language courses (NO ROUNDING UP)
- Cumulative 4.0 (A)(95%) GPA in Foreign Language Honors courses(NO ROUNDING UP)
- Cumulative 3.3 (B+)(88%) GPA overall (NO ROUNDING UP)
- currently enrolled in a level 3 or 4, or Spanish II Advanced course
The World Language Honor Society member must display the following in the Foreign Language classroom:
- A sincere interest and enthusiasm for language learning by paying attention, taking notes, actively listening, asking and responding to questions, and participating in class discussions.
- A sincere appreciation for other cultures.
- An open-mind and acceptance of cultural differences.
- A concern for what is happening in the world.
- Personal Qualities
- Leadership qualities by initiating discussions, developing their own ideas and perspectives, expressing positive thoughts and exhibits empathy towards others, accepting responsibility by taking notes, being organized, completing assignments and reviewing notes daily.
- A positive role model by communicating and collaborating with everyone, show respect and concern for others, be knowledgeable and well rounded, have humility and willingness to admit mistakes.
Students must complete a total of 15 hours of service:
Students applying for World Language Honor Society must complete the following:
a) Be part of a Cultural Club at St. Francis Preparatory. For example, Italian club, Spanish Club, French Club, West Indian Club, Greek Club etc. Students must dedicate at least 5 hours of service to the club to which he/she belongs.
b) Complete 10 hours of community service. 2 hours of the 10 hours of service must be completed in the year in which the student is applying.
Some examples are:
Walks such as the Breast Cancer Walk with a Language club
Parades such as Christopher Columbus, St. Patrick’s Parade, etc.
Helping with a club (international night, charity events, etc.)
Tutoring in the language taken in class.
Helping the World Language Department such as helping them with Open House, Foreign Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony, etc.
Proof of community service hours should be written on a letterhead if it is an outside service.
Cultural Event and Personal Essay
All students must attend a Cultural event (in the target language) such as concerts, a movie theatre, plays, museums, operas, recent overseas trips (within the last 2 years) to corresponding countries of the language studied, etc.
If you need more information, please ask your teacher.
Once a cultural event has been visited, students must write and submit the essay (introduction, body and conclusion) and proof of attendance to the cultural event with the application. Colored pictures must be included with your essay. All essays must be typed and double spaced.
All students must type the essay in the target language.
The use of translators will result in your disqualification from the WLHS.
There will be a membership fee for World Languages Inductees. The membership fee includes the certificate, cord, and fees associated with the event.
Cost of Membership Fee $25 and must be provided with application.
No cash will be accepted. Checks must be made out to St. Francis Preparatory School.
Once the application and fee has been provided, names will be posted on the website.